Monday, June 15, 2009

hotdogs, smores and friends...

Summer Staff have officially arrived!

Yesterday at 4:00 pm - the counselors and support staff arrived at Camp Gilead! There's always such an energy on the first day of camp. A little bit of awkwardness and uncomfortability mixed with excitement and anticipation!

We started our week of staff training ... around the victory circle. We roasted hot dogs, made smores and the conversation flowed. When we initially got the group together, I challenged them to look around the group. These people would become their closest friends, one might become their spouse, others would be in their weddings - the relationships that were about to develop would be deep. (then I asked them if they wanted to take another look around the circle!) :)

It was a good first day. Pictures will be coming...

Do you remember your first day of summer staff training? I can remember thinking after the first night when I was a camp counselor..."these people are nice, but I already have my really close friends". Even after my first summer as a counselor, I thought that I had my "camp friends" and probably wouldn't become as close to these "new camp people" as last year's folks. I'm so glad that I was wrong! Each summer I developed unique and special friendships with those that I worked with. Ahh...the memories! :)

Kimberly Mallory
Camp Gilead Program Director

No comments:

Post a Comment