Tuesday, July 21, 2009

from Josh Mallory ... Full Time Staff...Maintenance

Camp Gilead is an amazing place. I have been serving here at Gilead for 10 years, working as maintenance, and still am amazed by what God does here in the campers lives, the staffs lives, and my life. I would think by now I would kinda know it all and know what to expect. But the Lord still is teaching me more about Him. I could have never had dreamt to be doing such a great work for the Kingdom of God.

I didn’t grow up going to church camp or even Church. A staffer asked me if I had an idea if this is what I wanted to do for a career. I told him that I didn’t have a plan for “any” career or college.
I came to the Lord at 22. It truly is amazing to see how God brought me to Camp Gilead. I think almost daily and wonder why God has allowed me to be here. I do not deserve such a great job and life. I was so young in the faith to be jumping into full time ministry. But God really made Proverbs 3:5, 6 come alive to me and still does. To trust in the Lord with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding, and to acknowledge Him in all my ways and He will direct my paths. God has allowed me to serve here today and who knows what could happen tomorrow.
There is a plaque inside the chapel with a picture of the founder of Camp Gilead. His name is Forest Johnson, and on this plaque is a verse that is from 1 Corinthians 15:31, and it says, Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your work is not in vain in Christ Jesus. Wow, what an encouraging verse for anyone who serves Jesus. I saw that verse on the plaque about 5 years ago and it has been such a great reminder for what I do here. Some work that I do may never be seen, and I don’t think a nicely mown lawn or a toilet that doesn’t leak will bring anyone to Christ. But the work that is done for Christ will not be in vain.
Any job that we are doing, whether it is tedious, repetitive, or just the same old thing, if we can just remember who we are doing it for, that work will glorify Christ.

Whatever you eat, drink or “whatever you do, do all to the Glory of God.”
1 Corinthians 10:31
Josh Mallory
Maintenance
www.campgilead.org

1 comment:

  1. Amen brother. Keeping camp in nice working order is a wonderful job, and one that if done improperly would go "noticed"; so know that your work is a good one and Christ is smiling on you.

    A camper parent

    ReplyDelete