Monday, August 10, 2009

megan's girls...

This has been a summer of friendships, leadership, laughter, trials, tears, hugs, challenges, sleep deprivation…

The list could go on but I will spare you all! I was placed as girl’s head counselor this summer and couldn’t have asked for a more stretching position. I was taught how to love and encourage others through the rough times, while at the same time I worked with God on some of my own personal challenges…talk about multitasking! My girls are beautiful woman of God and it was a privilege to see their growth.

Elizabeth – has a very independent and stubborn heart. She gave 110% to her campers and did not let others sway her ministry.
Laurren – was able to pull through some hard weeks of junior campers only to discover she has a knack for children and service.
Emily – stepped in as a counselor during the last week of campers and blew us all out of the waters. Thank you for all of your hard work, even if you didn’t know what you were doing at times!
Ali – has a tender and quiet heart, which is such a blessing to this team. She is a very dedicated individual with a strong passion to serve others.
Aimee P – grew a lot as a leader! I watched her crawl to the finish line with a smile on her face. Her love is infectious!
Amy C - She took the time to get to know her campers and built a lot of strong friendships. She has a very genuine and caring heart…and I am blessed to have been her leader!
Melissa – has a vivacious and loud drive for ministry! She connected with her campers on such a unique level and it was fun to see her outgoing personality used as a ministry tool.
Lindley – came the farthest and grew the most. Her passion for Camp Gilead began in Georgia and I am excited she was a part of our team. She not only brought the south to Washington but she brought a breath of fresh air to the staff.
Elisabeth – is not only an amazing counselor but an incredible friend. She loves to be around others and has a special way with the campers. Each week you could see the adoration in her camper’s eyes!
Teanna – is another tender-hearted counselor who really sought after God’s own heart this summer. It was encouraging to see her strive for growth.
Ashley – is always full of fun and laughter; willing to jump in wherever needed! I watched her persevere through tough stuff this summer and it was a blessing to see!

I saw growth in myself as a leader and as a loyal friend. Christ squeezed my heart so tight that I had to lose it, in order to gain it. Matthew 16:25 now makes sense: "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."

Megan Stephens
Camp Gilead Program Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment