Thursday, June 27, 2013

Camp: On the Bucket List - Megan Haskins


We arrived on Tuesday; the fire inside of me had been ignited but was small, being kept alive with just a single flame. The past 6 months had been a crazy journey: getting the idea of working at camp, laughing at the idea of working at camp, discussing the possibility of working at camp, and having life’s events fall into place making it TOO easy to work at camp.
 
Camp Gilead is a special place to my husband, Craig Haskins, and I. We met as 15-year-olds, working on High School Staff in 2002.  The day we got married was the day we decided to put “working at camp” on our bucket list.  Here we are…married…on program staff…and checking it off our list!

I wasn’t sure what to expect, for it had been 4 years since we had last worked out here on program staff. Would we know anyone? Would anyone know us? How much had the program changed? Are we MEDIEVAL enough to be on staff? Would I be able to relate to the staff that is 6-7 years younger than myself? What does that look like?

Despite reservations, we packed up our car and road tripped it from Spokane! The fire inside of me has been fanned this past week as we have planned, prepared, and prayed over the summer staff and campers. It included a ton of re-learning, stretching (mentally and physical), adapting, and acclimating to full-time ministry. I have such a heart for service and can’t wait to grow and watch growth occur in those around me!

James 1:2-4 says, Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

Let the summer begin!
Megan (Stephens) Haskins - Girls Head Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment