Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Not always "easy" - by Anna Heins

I just finished up cleaning my cabin after a week of camp. This may sound perfectly normal, but it really wasn’t. Not the cleaning part, that is, but the cabin part. 

I am the day camp director and stepped up into the position of cabin counselor for
High School Camp week. I was nervous even though I was not totally unprepared for
the position, having spent two summers as a cabin counselor.
 
Preparation doesn’t always make it easy.  God showered his blessing upon me this past week.  Blessings don’t make it easy.  And the “regular” counselors were a great support.
Even with support, things are tough.
 
When we are weak then He is strong and God’s strength is visible to all.
“Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.” Psalm 54: 4
God is the one who helped me through this week. When things were tough and
poignant memories came to mind, God was there as a steady shoulder to lean on.
When my campers were constantly by my side even to the point of ridiculousness,
God reminded me that each camper is a soul that needs Christ’s love. When I was
flailing down the slip’n’slide on my feet, I thanked the Lord for the moments of
laughter and fellowship with the campers.
 
“Come let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For
the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of
the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him.” Psalm 95:1-4
 
Anna Heins
Day Camp Director/High School Camp Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment