Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Lord's Chosen Workers - Tyler Wells

My name is Tyler Wells, and this is my second summer as a counselor at Camp Gilead.  My first year was an amazing experience, and as soon as I drove away from the camp, I couldn't wait to get to come back.  One of the reasons it was a great summer was that we had an awesome staff last summer.  I made a lot of great friends, and I was encouraged literally every day in several ways by my fellow staff members.  Each one of us was there for a reason...last year.

As I began the process of reapplying for camp a few months ago, it occurred to me that many of the people who had worked at camp last summer would not be able to come back.  Out of four male counselors last year, I was the only one coming back, and many of the girl counselors and program staff and support staff had other plans or obligations for this summer.  At first, this was disappointing for me.  I knew I would miss a lot of people that I had build strong relationships with last summer, and I was unsure of what to expect for the new staff.

Between then and now, after finishing a week of staff training, God has been teaching me something.  I realized that every summer, the staff will be a little different, with some returning faces, some people moving up to higher positions, and some brand new people.  No matter who ends up making the list, one thing is for sure, and that is the fact that the Lord has chosen each person for a specific purpose.  Some people only get one chance to work on staff, and some end up staying for a lifetime, but each year, God hand picks a staff to serve together as brothers and sisters in Christ, so the camp will continue to be successful and so His will can be done.

During staff training, I was so encouraged to see all the returning staff and the new staff come together as the Lord's chosen workers for the summer of 2013 at Camp Gilead.  We all have different stories, strengths, weaknesses, and personalities, but we all have the same goals and purposes of seeing God work to change lives this summer.  I can already tell we have another great group of staff, and I am so blessed to be a part of this team.  Over the next seven weeks, I look forward to getting to know each one even more as we work together, encouraging one another and building each other up.  The Lord has really given me peace about the fact that even though this exact staff will only be together for this one summer, He will continue to provide just the right staff year after year, and when our time on staff is done, He will continue to work in us and through us, wherever he leads us in the future.

 

Tyler Wells
Counselor - Cabin 14

No comments:

Post a Comment